So What Are Microgreens Anyway?
Microgreens is a term to describe edible greens that germinate from the seeds of herbs and vegetables and harvested without roots when they are seedlings.
They have a higher nutritional value and antioxidant content than their mature, fully grown equivalents. Because the plant is harvested before it is mature, they're bursting with the nutrients and antioxidants needed in anticipation for the growth of a full grown plant. In this way, less is more.
- As a garnish on salads and sandwiches
- Use to add flavor and color to omelettes
- As an alternative to lettuce in tacos
- Because of their high nutritional content add to smoothie or juice
2 cups microgreens
2 tbsp garlic scapes or cloves
2 tbsp pine nuts or walnuts
2-3 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
1) Place microgreens in a food processor. Add garlic scapes or cloves, nuts and lemon juice and pulse a few times to chop and blend well.
2) Add the parmesan to the bowl, and slowly add oil while pulsing to reach the consistency you desire
- As a dip for veggies or crackers
- Mix with mayo for sandwich spread
- Use on pizza as a tomato base
- Topping for eggs, fish or other meats